History of Fort Victoria
Fort Victoria was built by the Portuguese in 1575 under the rule of Governor Gaspar de Mello. The original name of this fort was Fortaleza Nossa Senhora da Anunciada, which was taken from the Ascension Day of Jesus Christ which coincided with the laying of the first stone.
It is strategically located in the Honipopu area, which is now in Sirimau District, just a few hundred meters from the Mardika Terminal.
In the early 17th century, the Dutch began to target this fort as part of their ambition to control the spice trade in Maluku.





